Livonia Township, Minnesota


Welcome to Livonia Township online

Livonia Township
Livonia Township

Formerly a part of Elk River, Livonia Township was established in 1866, making it 151 years old this year!  Originally, there were three areas of settlement.  Lake Fremont and the southeastern area called the Spencer Settlement, were first settled in the mid-1850's.  Later, in the 1870's farmers began moving into the Meadowvale area. 

The origin of the name Livonia is unknown though one source attributes it to the wife of Benjamin Spencer, who settled that area.  Zimmerman, the second name for Lake Fremont, was the name of the farmer, Moses Zimmerman, who sold the land to the Great Northern Rail Road for the rail lines.

Last updated 3/14/2018 8:09:22 AM